The Advancing Breastfeeding in Colorado (ABC) project seeks to reduce health disparities and improve overall health across the state by creating a seamless system of breastfeeding support for parents and families at their jobs, in child care settings and medical offices, and in their communities.
The ABC team includes Boulder County Public Health, Denver Public Health, Jefferson County Public Health, Tri-County Health Department, and the Colorado Health Institute, which provides evaluation and project management.
The project’s partners, along with local coalitions and stakeholders, aim to help parents and families — especially those with less access to breastfeeding resources and lactation support at their jobs, in child care settings and medical offices, and in their communities.
ABC is supported by a three-year grant from the state’s Cancer, Cardiovascular and Chronic Pulmonary Disease (CCPD) Grants Program. Work began in July 2018 and will continue through June 2021.
ABC Project Priorities
- Reduce disparities in breastfeeding initiation and duration
- Create a seamless system of high-quality, culturally-competent lactation support and expand access to lactation professionals, especially for underserved populations
- Increase the number of breastfeeding-friendly environments by driving change in health care facilities, formal and informal child care environments, businesses, and public spaces
The overarching goal? A Colorado where all families have access to breastfeeding-friendly worksites, resources, and professionals that are effective and culturally responsive.
ABC’s multifaceted approach — working with multiple sectors and geographic partners, building coalitions, developing resource guides, providing continuing education, and growing public awareness — will yield beneficial policy and environmental changes.
Technical assistance is available to coalitions and community partners statewide. In addition, ABC offers limited "seed money" to partners outside the metro area and reimbursement for setting up lactation spaces to partners in the metro area.
Please contact Nina Bastian, Program Manager, for general information about ABC.
720.382.7087 | firstname.lastname@example.org
If applicable, you may also reach out to the designated contact at your local agency:
- Boulder County Public Health:
- Heather Elkins, JD, IBCLC | Breastfeeding Environments Program Specialist | 303.413.7514 | email@example.com
- Denver Public Health:
- Mandy Feeks | Breastfeeding Program Specialist | 303.602.4479 | Amanda.Feeks@dhha.org
- Jefferson County Public Health:
- Allison Wilson | Jeffco Coordinator | 303.239.7007 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tri-County Health Department:
- Michele Haugh | Worksite Wellness Coordinator | 720.200.1518 | email@example.com
- Colorado Breastfeeding Coalition Website | Twitter | Facebook
- CDPHE Breastfeeding Essentials
- Boulder County Breastfeeding Coalition
- Jefferson County Public Health breastfeeding resources
- Tri-County Health Department breastfeeding resources
- About the ABC Project
- Press Release – August 2018
- CCPD Spotlight on Regional Lactation Days – May 2019
- CCPD Spotlight on Seed Money Awards – October 2019
Toolkits: Breastfeeding Guides for Parents, Employers, and Medical Offices:
- Parents' Toolkit – updated September 2019
- Parents’ Toolkit, Español – updated September 2019
- Employer Toolkit – updated September 2019
- Medical Office Toolkit – updated September 2019