The Colorado Health Institute (CHI) seeks a dynamic and innovative leader to build a vibrant communications practice that will support and promote our core health systems and health policy research work.
The Managing Director of Marketing and Communications (MD) will develop CHI’s communications and marketing portfolio into a key driver of the organization’s growth and manage a team of smart, capable and engaged writers, designers, data visualization experts and marketers.
Reporting directly to the president, the MD will join an agile, energetic and established leadership team committed to strategically positioning CHI as a forward-looking partner in the transformation of health care across Colorado, building on the trust we have earned as the state’s leading independent health systems and health policy research group.
The MD will provide internal leadership while helping to shape our brand externally.
At CHI, we believe that sound evidence and solid analysis lead to better health policy, and that better health policy leads to better health for all Coloradans. The MD will ensure that this mission-driven passion translates into a communications practice that supports health leaders, communities, organizations and systems throughout Colorado working toward the same goal.
The MD is responsible for developing and implementing the communications, marketing and – alongside the President and CEO – the business development strategy for CHI by advancing and protecting its brand and reputation. This leader will be a highly experienced, strategic, self-motivated individual with experience developing and leading communications and marketing initiatives for a mission-driven organization. S/he will manage the communications team, collaborating with senior leadership to align strategy across a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
The MD will be an experienced professional who understands that communication is more than a process of providing information: it is a critically important strategic function. S/he will also understand that brand is a perception constantly being shaped through every interaction. Accordingly, this person must be a persuasive advocate for evidence-based health policy and for the ideas, images and approaches that best promote and enhance CHI’s outstanding reputation.
The MD will coordinate the organization’s overall communications and marketing strategy, with particular focus on organizational communications strategy, project-level strategy, long‐term communications and outreach planning and organizational metrics development and reporting. Reporting to the President and CEO, the MD will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement communication strategies to broaden the impact of CHI’s programs, organizational messaging and client services.
- Lead the daily functions of the communications department, including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Maintain CHI’s annual work schedule: Track all projects and deliverables in a format that CHI staff can use to learn about their colleagues’ work.
- Allocate staff resources to projects in a manner proportionate to their importance to CHI’s mission and needs.
- Ensure all CHI external communications for both grant-funded and consulting projects meet quality standards and live up to CHI’s reputation for clear, engaging, accurate communications, no matter the medium — writing, graphics, presentations, multimedia or interactive displays.
- Actively market CHI’s consulting services to key market segments and clients.
- Shape CHI’s reputation as the state’s most trusted and nonpartisan source of health policy analysis.
- Participate on the senior leadership team with the President and CEO to set CHI’s direction, inspire staff members to excel in their work and nurture a positive and productive work environment.
- Support President and CEO in building and maintaining strong relationships with public and private organizations and individuals.
- Collaborate with the President and CEO and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Develop and refine CHI’s core messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Help shape the overall content of CHI’s annual health agenda.
- Advise the President and CEO on strategic options and choices regarding external market changes and trends.
- Train CHI staff in communications skills, including writing and speaking to the news media.
- Foster a work environment in which all CHI team members know that their ideas are valued and they have the opportunity to enhance their skills and make meaningful contributions to health policymaking.
- Assist the President and CEO in ensuring all CHI staff understand the organization’s role and mission.
- Recruit and manage staff for the communications team and lead the team in executing all aspects of CHI’s marketing and communications strategy.
- Serve as the point person for news media inquiries.
- Periodic travel may be required.
Competitive candidates will possess:
- Ability to teach and mentor other employees in communications and leadership skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and thoughtfully in a dynamic market, shifting policy landscape and fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work under pressure in urgent situations.
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with and in a team of highly motivated colleagues and peers.
- Ability to make decisions quickly while ensuring all relevant team members are included in the decision-making process.
- Superior writing, editing and speaking skills.
- Extensive project management experience.
- Experience in working with news media.
- Awareness of Colorado’s news and political environment and how it affects CHI’s work.
- Ten years’ experience in communications strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred).
- A passion for nonpartisan, evidence-based policymaking with the goal of making Colorado healthier for all its residents.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated:
- Integrity, embodied by being honest and trustworthy;
- Leadership skills, including the ability to inspire others to achieve their best work;
- Initiative, shown by the confidence to make decisions and take risks; and
- Adaptability, key to working in a fast-changing environment.
- Excellent base salary coupled with attractive incentive plan
- Comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, 401K, transportation and cell phone stipends, and paid time off annually.
CHI is an innovative and independent health systems and health policy research and consulting group. We answer Colorado’s most pressing health questions by providing analysis and expertise that informs policy, advances health, promotes collaboration and supports better access to care for all Coloradans.
- Our Vision: We improve the health of all Coloradans by supporting health policy discussions with evidence-based analysis and informed insight.
- Our Mission: We strive to be a trusted and leading source of credible analysis and expertise for Colorado leaders.
- Our Nonpartisan Ethic: CHI is independent. We do not lobby or endorse bills, ballot initiatives or policy proposals. We do not take a position on candidates.
CHI provides research and consulting services, including program planning and development, implementation services, post-implementation analytics and evaluation to a range of health organizations that are improving the health and well-being of Colorado’s citizens.
Research is the foundation of our work. It informs our ability to be trusted strategic advisors, skilled evaluators and sought-after facilitators. We are a valued partner with the individuals, groups and communities across the state working to help Coloradans be healthier than ever. CHI’s services include:
- Financial Analysis and Modeling
- Market Analysis
- Policy and Program Implementation
- Project Management
- Strategic Communications
- Strategic Planning
- Analysis for Strategic Grantmaking
CHI has broad and deep expertise in health policy and research. Our work in 2018 is broadly categorized into research portfolios:
- Behavioral Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Coverage and Access
- Geographic Divides (rural health)
- Affordability of Coverage and Care
- Payment Reform and Delivery Innovation
- Medicaid, CHP+ and other public insurance programs.
- Aging and Long-Term Services and Support
- Federal and State policy developments
- Colorado’s legislative session
- Children’s Health
- Oral Health
CHI’S GROWTH STRATEGY
CHI, established by three Colorado-based health foundations in 2002, is now a $4.2 million organization with a 26-person staff.
Our original funders—The Colorado Trust, Rose Community Foundation and Caring for Colorado Foundation—have been joined by the Colorado Health Foundation, Community First Foundation, the Colorado Springs Health Foundation and Kaiser Permanente of Colorado.
Grant funding from these philanthropic foundations supports CHI’s annual health agenda, allowing us to conduct the work that is most needed and relevant as a free community benefit.
To supplement that philanthropic support and to adapt to changing market conditions, CHI is leveraging its expertise to consult with other organizations that share our goal of improving health and health policy in Colorado.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but preference will be given to those applying on or before April 19, 2019.
The Colorado Health Institute is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.